Captain Hugh Munro in 1817, owner of the Teaninich Estate, establishes the distillery in the small village of Alness, a 30-minute drive, north of Inverness, also home to the Dalmore Distillery, While the Dalmore distillery sits prominently on the shores of the Cromarty Firth, Teaninich is to be found hidden on the edge of town, in what is now an industrial estate
The Distillery passed to Lieutenant-General John Munro in 1845 he was a renowned benefactor of the local poor. Five years later Munro is posted on service to India, so leases the distillery to Robert Pattison to operate in his absence. The lease of the Teaninich distillery is passed on to John McGilchrist Ross.1869
During Alfred Barnard’s visit of 1887 he describes it as the only distillery north of Inverness that is lit by electricity - ‘besides which it possesses telephonic communication with the Proprietor’s residence and the quarters of the Excise Officers’.
John McGilchrist Ross relinquishes the distillery tenancy and is succeeded by the partnership of John Munro (whisky broker) and Robert Innes Cameron, (spirit merchant) both from Elgin. in 1895 Three years later the Munro family transfers the whole of the distillery capital and all of its assets to the firm of Munro and Cameron.
Robert Innes Cameron becomes sole proprietor of the Teaninich distillery in 1904 He also owns substantial interests in several Highland distillery companies, including Benrinnes, Linkwood and Tamdhu, and later became chairman of the Malt Distillers Association.
The trustees of Robert Innes Cameron (1932) sell Teaninich to Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd in 1933. During the Second World War (1940-45) the distillery is closed as a result of wartime restrictions on the supply of barley to distilleries.
In 1962 the stillhouse is refitted. The steam engine and the two water wheels are replaced in favour of electricity, two additional stills added, and internal heating by steam replaces the coal burning furnaces. Demand for Teaninich continues to grow, and a new stillhouse with another three pairs of stills added in 1970.
Further improvements are made in 1973 as the milling, mashing and fermentation part of the old distillery are rebuilt. A Dark grains plant for cattle feed is added in 1975.
With the great whisky lake of the 1980s the distillery is mothballed in 1985.Until 1991 when the Distillery re-opened by UDV. 1992 First released as a Single Malt.