The Glenlochy distillery in the Highlands was founded in 1898 by David McAndie of the Glenlochy Fort William Distillery Co.. The distillery gets it name from the Lochy river That flows through the town of Fort William at the foot of Ben Nevis mountain. Apart from Ben Nevis and Glenlochy, there used to be another
distillery in the area; Named "Nevis". These days Ben Nevis is the only remaining active distillery in this part of Scotland.
Glenlochy was one of the many distilleries That were founded during the "whiskey boom at the end of the 19th century - and unlike many other malt whiskey distilleries That were founded in the same period it managed to remainning operational afterwards.
Glenlochy was silent from 1919 to 1924 and from 1926 to 1937, during All which period the distillery changed hands a few times. The ownership was transfered to DCL / SMD in 1953, but they did manage to turn it into a winner. Glenlochy was closed in 1983; the typical distillery buildings are now used as offices.